Instant coffee can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here's our recommendation for how to make it hot, iced or even as an espresso style drink.
Hot Instant Coffee
“Just add water.” Honestly, that’s all that is needed for a satisfying and flavorful hot cup of coffee! That said, at Feliz our coffee connoisseurs have done the work to help you perfect your cup of instant coffee.
- Not all instant coffee is alike, so make sure the coffee you are drinking is quality, especially if you’re drinking it straight. When considering which brand to use, take a look at where it was grown, the flavor profile, and whether it was freeze-dried or spray dried (THIS ONE IS HUGE - freeze drying allows the coffee to retain complex flavors, aromas, and amino acids, while spray-drying can result in more of a muted, burnt flavor, reduced/burnt aroma, and destruction of amino acids).
- Once you know you have a quality base, we recommend starting a ratio of 1 tbsp of Feliz Instant Coffee for every 8 oz of hot water. That said, some people prefer the coffee to be stronger or weaker, so if you find this ratio too concentrated or not concentrated enough, feel free to add a little more coffee or hot water. The beautiful thing about instant coffee is you can play around without needing to re-brew!
- As with coffee strength, level of sweetness varies from person to person. To make coffee sweeter, add a little bit of sugar or use your favorite creamer.
The espresso method of coffee production is a very specialized method of brewing. Espresso is made with high pressure hot water being shot through tightly packed and very fine coffee grounds. An espresso machine is required to make that true espresso drink.
However, you can do something similar flavor wise with instant coffee. If you think of espresso as a super concentrated 1oz shot of coffee that's pretty strong, then you can make a similar coffee concentrate by using a little more instant coffee and keeping the water amount to 1 to 2 ounces.
With all that in mind, here's our recipe for a mocha that doesn't require an espresso machine.
What you’ll need:
- 1-2oz of hot water to mix the instant coffee
- 6 oz of milk (boil or use a milk steamer)
- 1-2 tsp hot cocoa mix
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- Mix the instant coffee and cocoa together in about 2oz of water (vary as needed based on the consistency of the "espresso"
- Pour in 6-8oz of hot milk
- Whisk until there is a smooth, frothy foam on top
Experiment with it! Some fun variations include:
- Cinnamon Mocha (add ¼ tsp cinnamon)
- Peppermint Mocha (add drops of peppermint extract)
By the way, don't limit yourself to just hot espresso drinks! The only hot part needs to be the "espresso" shot to make sure the instant coffee fully dissolves. Once you make that, throw it over some ice and cold milk and you're good to go.
Iced Instant Coffee
When you think of coffee, you're typically thinking of a hot cup of coffee. However, instant coffee works very well as an iced coffee. As with hot coffee, the strength of the coffee can be adjusted by adding more or less coffee and liquid. Here's our recommendation for a cup of iced coffee that tastes good and isn't weak.
What you’ll need:
- 1 Tbsp ¡Feliz! Instant Coffee
- 4oz of hot water
- 4 ice cubes
- Milk frother (like this one)
- Preferred milk, sugar & creamer
- Combine the instant coffee and 4oz of hot water in a cup and use the whisk to quickly dissolve the instant coffee.
- Be careful not to whisk to long because you'll get a lot of foam. Ideal for dalgona, but not regular iced coffee.
- If you want to use regular sugar, pour it in now so the hot water dissolves it.
- Pour this coffee concentrate over a glass containing 4-5 ice cubes and stir it up to chill the coffee
- Add milk and creamer as desired
You'll have a cup of iced coffee in no time! Keep in mind you don't need to use hot water to dissolve the instant coffee and could instead use cold water, but it does take longer for the instant coffee to dissolve. If you do use cold water, you'll need to adjust the water ratio as the ice cubes won't melt, adding to the overall coffee.
The possibilities are endless! Feliz Instant coffee can also be blended with ice to make it a frappe, whisked until fluffy to make a Dalgona drink, and so much more.
What are your favorite coffee recipes? Tag us on Instagram at @drinkfelizcoffee for a chance to be featured!